Saturday, June 7, 2008

On Copyrights


Just got official permission from Gijs van Kooten to use his art on my website.  I'm really excited.  Gijs is a Dutch art student from (surprise) Rotterdam, the Netherlands.  He has some really touching 3d art on his site, and i plan on incorporating it into my page every now and again.  Anyway, I'm just excited i have a new friend halfway around the world (4111 miles* away as the very very energetic crow flies).

Copyright is a very important thing to me, and is something that my professors here at Northwestern are constantly droning on about.  Little known fact: it only costs $0.41 to copyright a document, or the current cost of postage.  If and when you write something -- screenplay, stage play, really witty letter to the editor -- simply make a copy, and then mail it to yourself.  As long as you don't subsequently open it when it arrives back at your house, the postmark on the envelope should be enough to hold up in a court of law that as of the date on the letter, you had already completed whatever it was you completed.

I think Gijs may have been a bit surprised that I even asked permission, most people on teh internets just copy and take as they wish.  I just feel that if I had written something and was to to stumble across it one day, being used without permission by another rando somewhere out in the ether, it would upset me to some extent.  Now, if I were at least quoted, then I guess it wouldn't be so bad, but that's the nature of Free Use.  One of my film classes had me ripping video files off of DVDs for the purpose of rearranging and editing my own narratives.  Speaking of which, keep an eye out for a YouTube bar to appear over there on the right, soon.  I'll have links to some of the stuff i've been working on at Northwestern since i've been here and hopefully some old stuff from high school.

*6616 kilometers

2 comments:

  1. AWWWWWWW, what a nice guy!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And unfortunately, i have moved on from his artwork to a new, less emo-oriented layout. Thank for the time we shared, Gijs!

    ReplyDelete