Wednesday, June 11, 2008

IQ Scores and unfulfilled potential


So I recently took a few of those online IQ-tests, and made sure to follow the actual rules, which are pencil and paper only, no calculators, etc.  Wikipedia suggested taking three tests and averaging the scores together to get your "true IQ" score.  So here are my three results:

140-\
154--> An average, or "true IQ," score of 149.33...
154-/

This handy chart on Wikipedia says that I'm "Highly Gifted."  The only reason that I'm posting this is because it reminds me of what my parents have always gotten on my case for. My parents used to always tell me that I wasn't living up to my potential, that if I were to actually try hard in school, I'd get straight As, etc. My teachers usually echoed the same sentiments, frustrated that I would slack off in their classes and still come out unscathed with either a B+ or A-. 
My older sister practically killed herself in school, she had incredibly organized notes, study guides, and to her credit got a pretty good SAT score and got into Baylor University (the first in our family to get a degree, btw, so incredibly proud of her). Then there's me, the kid who shrugged it all off, almost missed getting  his letters of recommendation and applications in on time, only to find an acceptance letter in the mail from Northwestern University.
This isn't meant to be some sort of bragging thing, and for all I know those IQ tests weren't accurate and I'm really normal IQ'd (?) at around 100.  The point is, I've never cared about grades and academic assessments because I'm an artist. Such a black and white measurement of talent or worth has always felt gross to me.  Remember, writing is my art. But then again so is filmmaking, acting, singing, and playing music.  I understand the sciences but I don't want to. I don't want to look at a star in the sky and think "wow, look at that massive luminous ball of plasma!"  I want to be able to look at a star and see a pinprick of light shining down on us from the heavens able to represent... anything and everything.
My mind wanders. My brain is constantly traveling faster than I can write or speak and I often find myself consciously thinking about something two topics from now before realizing that I'm still talking. The result is often a blank look on my face and the question, "Wait, what was I saying?" 

(Editor's note: I now pause for a moment to capitalize the "i" and change "sayig" to "saying")

Shit.  God-forbid if I get a typo like I just did right now. I have no idea where I was going with that last paragraph. I apologize.  Um... 

...

Nothing. So much for that bullshit IQ score.

2 comments:

  1. i love how you wanted to make sure people didnt think your were bragging:) mr humble i guess. no but i love this entry! i love how you totally admit that you dont even try if you dont want to, but it makes sense. i always hated cumulative tests, they never truly measure your intelligence, just your ability to memorize and then forget everything 5 minutes after the the test! anywho, i love you and you're blogs thoroughly entertain me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Kristin, you need to post as Kristin, or this will get confusing. I just enabled open posting, so you can use your own name now. Dork.

    ReplyDelete